Sunday, August 31, 2008

We're back!

Well, it was my intention to blog while I was away but since we don't have a laptop makes it difficult. This will be a long post since I have to tell you all about our week away all at once. So, here goes.

We left Sunday morning and made the 9 hour drive to Norfolk, Virginia. Here we are just before walking out the door.

Julianne did amazing. She didn't make a peep for pretty much the entire day except when she was just talking or cooing or laughing. We saw some interesting sights along the way including this vehicle that I just could not resist photographing. The picture doesn't do it justice because it was definitely one of a kind:
Here is the side view:

The pictures really don't do it justice. I don't know if you can see the detailing of the paint job but it looked like snake skin. It had spinners and the interior was something I had never seen before. I love driving cross see so many interesting things.

We stopped a few times and pulled into Norfolk around 9 p.m. We were so wiped out by the time we got to the hotel and checking in turned out to be a major ordeal. The short story is that the hotel clerk gave us a room on the 2nd floor and after loading up Julianne and all of the stuff we had (2 suitcases, portable crib, stroller, camera, portable DVD player, bag of all of Julianne's bottles, food, etc., and about 10 other things) we headed to our room. We stepped off the elevator and what did we see? About 100 (no joke) college kids in the hallway. We couldn't even get down the hallway. Apparently a nearby university's freshman dorm was not finished and so for temporary housing they got all the freshman rooms at the Sheraton. What? I had no idea that hotels did that. I immediately turned around and went back to the front desk and reminded the clerk (I had already told her) that we were traveling with a baby and while she is my daughter and I'm sure enjoys a good party, it was nearly 10 p.m. and she needed to sleep. I was so mad that she would even give us a room on one of the college floors. What an idiot. Anyway, I asked for a room as far from that madness as possible so we were on the 9th floor. After all the driving, room switching drama and being hungry our girl still looked like this after the long day:

That is why I love this kid so much. She is such a happy baby. She had slept about an hour the entire day and was still happy. She loved the big hotel bed and all the pillows!

Shaun went off to his training course Monday morning and Julianne and I headed to Durham to see my friend Emma. Emma's husband Tommy was in residency with Shaun at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore which is how we met them. They now have two little girls who are just 17 months apart, Ella and Hailey. We arrived Monday afternoon and stayed for a few days to hang out. We shopped a little, went out to lunch and just had fun catching up. Here's some pics from our time in Durham:
This is Julianne and Hailey. Hailey is 9 months old, Julianne is nearly 6 but they are the same size...I didn't even need to change the setting on the jumparoo!!! We love our big girl!

Here they are again. I think Hailey was getting a bit protective of her jumparoo....

This is Ella. She just turned 2 in June. She was being a bit camera shy but I managed to snap this photo of her.

Everything went great in Durham....until Wednesday night. Julianne woke up in the middle of the night for the first time since she was 7 weeks old. Yes, she has been sleeping through the night since she was 7 weeks old. I'm spoiled, I know. She had a really runny nose and sounded congested so I assumed that she had picked up a cold or something. She was up literally all night...I finally got her to go back to sleep on the bed with me at about 5:30a.m. Since she was in the bed with me I really didn't sleep because I was afraid she would fall off the bed. She woke up around 7 and was so cranky which is really rare for her. I figured out that she did not have a cold...she was teething. She has been doing the typical chew on stuff and drooling since about 2 1/2 months of age but this is different. I could tell she was in pain. She had a bit of a fever, wouldn't sleep, was drooling like crazy, had a runny nose, and was "night waking" which she never does. Classic signs of teething. We left Thursday to drive back to Virginia so that I could let her rest for a day before the long drive home on Saturday. She had a rough day on Thursday and on Friday at the hotel but we managed to squeeze in some play time on Friday morning which included me trying to do some photos of us together (I am not good at self-portraits and I was going on 4 hours of sleep over 2 nights):

Yes, this is what I look like with no sleep. But I was still loving on this little girl and loving every minute of mommyhood. We hung out in the hotel on Friday going out for a bit for a walk. She didn't nap much on Friday but slept a little better Friday night. I wish I could say the same for me. We had a lot of noisy neighbors in our hotel that night who decided to come back to their room at 3 in the morning and shout in the hallway for a few hours. After 4 phone calls downstairs we finally heard silence at around 5. I was quite tired for our drive home yesterday but we made it and we are so happy to be home. We now have less than a week at home before we leave on our super long journey (first to Phoenix and then to California) this Friday. We are so excited to see family and friends and meet some new family members (there have been so many babies in the past few months). I'm a little nervous about flying with Julianne for the first time but the teething seems to be better now. She slept her normal 11 hours last night when we arrived home. Hopefully that will continue this week as I have a ton of stuff to do before we leave for almost a month! I'll leave you with my favorite pictures from the trip. In the first, we gave her a bath at the hotel and this is her just after. The second is a picture of her on the bed and she looks just like me at that age. I love those big eyes!


Sally said...

Oh, she's so cute! I'm still bummed that we missed each other in CA. How fun would it have been to see each other there? Remember when we ran into each other in Baja Fresh all those years ago? And we've been back in touch ever since!

Flying - it wasn't nearly as scary as I thought. I even did pretty good through security. Just take your time and since you know what you're doing from flying so much, you'll be fine. On the way out, Lil Major slept for both take offs and drank a bottle for both landings. Then on the way home he slept the entire flight, both legs! He didn't wake up til I put him in his stroller. I'm sure Julianne will do great, too!

Tiffany said...

Glad you had a blast!! Julianne is absolutely adorable. Glad to see you back posting. Just wanted to thank you for making me an addict to the blogging world.

Hope Julianne does much better in the sleeping world during your month long excursion. Well at least you will have family around to take the 2am shift if she does decide to wake.

Traveling, unfortunately as fun as it is seems to turn their perfect scheduled world upside down.

Glad you are back!!