Friday, July 9, 2010

A 22 hour travel day

We are here. In California. Yesterday was the travel day from hell. We arrived at the Cleveland Airport, checked in, got to our gate, were minutes from boarding and an announcement was made that we were delayed due to weather in between Cleveland and Chicago (our connecting city). We only had an hour layover in Chicago so I immediately thought we would probably miss it. Getting stuck in Chicago with a 2 year old and a 5 month old did not sound like fun. We took off a little over an hour late and the flight to Chicago was LONG because we had to fly south to avoid weather. We landed in Chicago about 30 minutes after our connecting flight was supposed to have left. Thank goodness that they held the flight for us and also another flight that was coming in from Detroit. We arrived in LA just 30 minutes later than we were originally supposed to. Both of my girls did wonderful on the flight. No crying, no meltdowns, but unfortunately, also very little sleeping. All was good though. Until we got to baggage claim and 2 of our bags were not there (one was Julianne's, one was Claire's).

It was 7:30 pm (10:30 to us). They said that our bags were probably on the next flight from Chicago which was due to arrive at 8:55. So, we decided to grab a bite and come back to see if our bags were there. We did and one was, one was not. Claire's bag was never unloaded off of our plane in LA and went on to Sacramento. So, we left and drove to my parents house (2 hour drive). We didn't get to bed until 1am (4 am to us).

The girls woke up at about 7 this morning which wasn't bad considering the time change. Claire has now been napping for close to 3 hours and we are leaving in about a half an hour to drive to San Diego for the weekend. Claire's bag is back at LAX so we are stopping on the way to pick it up. Thank you Southwest Airlines for holding our flight in Chicago so we could make it but a big fat F you for messing up our bags. What a pain in the butt.

We are excited to spend the weekend with Shaun's aunt and cousins in San Diego. My roommate from college is expecting her first baby so my mom and I are going to her shower tomorrow while Shaun's aunt watches the girls for me (thanks Barb)! Then Sunday, we are off to Scottsdale to see my brother and his family and to Phoenix to see my best friend and her family. We'll be driving back to California next Sunday. Lots going on but it will be fun to see everyone. I'm just hoping that the girls adjust quickly to west coast time and do well on our drives. They were rock stars yesterday. I am so blessed to have two of the best little girls a mommy could hope for. I think I was in a worse mood than either of them were. Even when we pulled into my parents house at 12:30am, we were getting smiles left and right from both of them. I love my girls!

Hopefully I'll get to check in during our travels with pictures and stories. Have a wonderful week everyone!


Brittany said...

I hope the rest of your trip goes well. (no more lost baggage)! I'm sure it'll be great seeing all your friends and family!

:) Look forward to hearing the recap!

Talia said...

oh, that's awful! I'm sorry you had such a rough time getting out here. Travelling with little ones is hard enough as it is without things going wrong. I'm glad it all worked out in the end! :)

Sally said...

Girl, after that crazy day, you drove to Bako and then back down to SD the next day?? You are brave!!! I hope all the stops in between the driving are awesome and make it all worth it. So jealous of your time at "home." But, can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Flying with kids can be stressful. I love Southwest Airlines. That was nice of them to hold the flight for you. But sorry about the baggage. Ugh.